Fine Art/Question on painting I have

I have what looks to be an oil painting - if you run your finger across the painting the paint is raised up - It is a picture of a Flower Vase with Flowers - I can only make out part of the signture that is on the bottom right hand corner in red it looks like saftian - this is about a 5" print and is framed - back is covered in brown paper - I can email pics if that would help - I would like to know the artist name, how old it is and if at all possible a value.  Thank you

Liz, You will need to remove the paper backing in order to take an image of the back.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.