Fine Art/A.R. Momand

Question
QUESTION: My grandfather recently passed away, during the cleaning of his house, we found a signed painting by A.R. Momand.  The painting originally hung in my Great Grandmother's house.  The name of the painting is Morning on the Mediterranean, I believe.  I know A.R. Momand was a cartoonist who did cartoons from around 1913 until 1930's with one of them being "Keeping up with the Jones".  That is all I can find out about him really.  I also know he did do some paintings.  The painting is about 7"x7".  Any help you could provide would be great!  Thank you in advance for your time.

ANSWER: Quite the challenge.
I checked published artist/cartoonists, artists lists I have compiled, art by subject and I called a rare art book source I have and came up with nothing?  I can usually find a mention somewhere?  In case you did not see the artist biography, here it is.  I see other names at the bottom of the Bio, more research might be done there.

Arthur R. Momand, an artist and creator of the comic strip ''Keeping Up With the Joneses,'' died Nov. 10 at the Mary McClellan Hospital in Cambridge, N.Y. He was 101 years old and lived in a nursing home at the hospital.

Mr. Momand, who was born in San Diego, attended the Trinity School in New York City and began his career as a sketch artist for The New York World in 1907.

In 1916, he created ''Keeping Up With the Joneses,'' a comic strip parody of American domestic life, which was eventually syndicated in several hundred newspapers in the United States and abroad. After discontinuing the comic strip in 1945, Mr. Momand, who was known as ''Pop,'' worked as a portrait painter in Manhattan.

He is survived by a nephew, Anthony V. Lynch, of Shushan, N.Y., and two nieces, Keiron Jesup of New Canaan, Conn., and Virginia, of Staten Island.

**Notice the reference to the artist being referred to as "Pop"   I also looked for that, more research can be done.

Dan

QUESTION: Thanks Dan for the quick response.  As a nurse, I am not very well versed in art.  You stated that more research could be done, could you point me in the right direction?  I really appreciate all the help you have provided up to this point.

Answer
I would look at the names at the bottom of the bio and see if they are listed or can be contacted.  If the artist was in Manhattan, a few art dealers in that area might have works if they have been in business for many years etc.

This is the reason art consultants charge by the hour, it's time consuming.

Dan

Dan Twyman