Fine Art/Raoul Dufy

Question
We have what we believe to be a painting,the signature is Raoul Dufy. It is of sail boats and has vivid colors in the water and boats. It is painted on what looks like a stiff piece of cardboard or thin board and was framed by a company in New York. From the type of frame, probably in the 30's.We do not know how to find out if it is an original. We have searched his catalog of art produced by his daughter and have not found this painting, just ones that are similar. Can you give us some advice. Thank you, Gretchen

Answer
Dear Gretchen, What you have is most likely a reproduction. If you want to proceed please follow my standard instructions below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes