Fine Art/Red Jacket

I have an oil painting on canvas that has been in my family since the mid-1800s. This is a portrait of Red Jacket, the Seneca chief. He is wearing the medal he was awarded to him by George Washington. Unlike every other painting of Red Jacket I have seen, this one makes him look quite imposing and strong. He is stern, almost scowling. Wearing a fringe jacket with details that resemble Catlin's work. I have sent photos to major places such as the Smithsonian, the National Portrait Gallery. No one can identify the artist. Any help?

Dear Joseph, A solution to your question is something that would take a great deal of research. First it has to be determined if the artist painted this from life or from another painting, print, or photo. The canvas and stretcher bars need to be dated. The provenance (history of ownership)has to be documented, exhibition records searched, etc., etc.
You can attach jpg images to an email to me at An image of the front, the back, a close-up detail of the paint surface, and any inscriptions or labels would be best. Make your subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam. I will be pleased to look at your images, but cannot promise any revelations.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.