Fine Art/Red Jacket

Question
I have an oil painting on canvas that has been in my family since the mid-1800s. This is a portrait of Red Jacket, the Seneca chief. He is wearing the medal he was awarded to him by George Washington. Unlike every other painting of Red Jacket I have seen, this one makes him look quite imposing and strong. He is stern, almost scowling. Wearing a fringe jacket with details that resemble Catlin's work. I have sent photos to major places such as the Smithsonian, the National Portrait Gallery. No one can identify the artist. Any help?

Answer
Dear Joseph, A solution to your question is something that would take a great deal of research. First it has to be determined if the artist painted this from life or from another painting, print, or photo. The canvas and stretcher bars need to be dated. The provenance (history of ownership)has to be documented, exhibition records searched, etc., etc.
You can attach jpg images to an email to me at pirround@msn.com An image of the front, the back, a close-up detail of the paint surface, and any inscriptions or labels would be best. Make your subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam. I will be pleased to look at your images, but cannot promise any revelations.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes