Fine Art/Rembrant , Begars recieving Alms

Question
Dolly,

I inherited several prints some time ago and was looking for some help. All of the prints have the following on the back
FIIi Alinari, via nacionale, 8, Firenze. I have prints from Rubens, Caracci and most interestingly Rembrandt's Beggars Receiving Alms and under the print it says "I Mendicanti", with LL8 in pencil on the back. I assume theses are from an Italian museum. Any info on the stamp or rarity of these print would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

Answer
Dear Wade,

I hope this finds you well. I believe your prints are collotypes from photographs taken of the art subjects and were probably sold at museums during the late 19th and early 20th century in Florence. Flli Alinari is the shortened version of Fratelli Alinari, (Brothers Alinari). The Alinari rothers were very famous photographers in Florence in the late 19th century. There is now a foundation dedicated to these Italian pioneers in photography and they have accumulated over 700.000 art and landscape photos in addition to the many other categories. The brothers were highly sought after for aristocratic portraits. Mendicanti on the Rembrandt is the title, “The Beggers”.

They are still producing collotypes from the Alinari images so you may also have newer versions. I cannot give you a value estimate without knowing the printing era. I would suggest you do your research with the key words “fratelli alinari” or “alinari brothers”. Try Alinari in key word search on EBay.

The Alinari website is: www.alinari.it. They have an English language version and sell current collotype and photographic images online.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley