Fine Art/Rico Tomaso

Question
I just picked up two large oils (5'x2')by Tomaso, one is a seascape, one is a red covered bridge/landscape.  How is the market for these now, and how can i find out value?  Thank you so much.  Kelli Brown in Vermont

Answer
Dear Kelli,

I have had questions in the past on the value of Rico Tomaso’s paintings. It is difficult to find comparable sales reports on a contemporary artist. It takes a while for art to show up at secondary market art auctions and the actual sale price realized at retail galleries is not published. Since there is currently a low turnover; it is not easy to estimate the value of his original paintings. Looking at the variances between the prior to auction estimates placed by the major auction houses and the actual sold prices reflects the markets overall inability to place a solid value on his work. It really comes back to the same old adage that a painting is worth whatever a collector is willing to pay for it. If you want price estimates because you want to sell the paintings, the best place to start would be the major houses. Sotheby’s, Christies, and others provide value estimates for commissioned pieces as well as scheduled days for collectors to bring their art for evaluation. If you want a more solid estimate for insurance purposes you will need to hire an appraiser. Insurance companies will also accept a gallery receipt, (invoice), as proof of value. It is up to the collector to keep the value estimate current on their high end art.

Overall, your paintings are quite large and would probably command a wholesale auction estimate between $3000-10,000. The subject and condition of the paintings affect the value as well and would be a consideration in estimates.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly

Dolly D Headley