Fine Art/Rico Tomaso, Floral Study

Question
I have 3 paintings left to me from my grandma. Floral study by Rico Tomaso, Forest Mist by Slater and Forest Primeval by Gare. Can you tell me anything about these paintings?  thanks

Tiffany

Answer
Dear Tiffany,

I hope all is well with you. I am not familiar with the artists “Gare” and there are numerous artists with the last name of Slater. Can you give me first names or initials? If you wish, you can send me photos of the paintings with a close up of the signatures I will try to identify them for you. You can email the photos to: dolly12@aol.com.

Rico TOMASO (1898-1985), was born in Chicago, but lived most of his life in N.Y. He is known for paintings and illustration. His work hit a peak at auction in the late nineties. Of note, there must be 50 posts on an art website by people who own Tomaso paintings and want to know their value. My suggestion is you find a local resource for appraisal, or contact on the art auction houses to get their opinion. Illustration House (www.illustrationhouse.com) has sold several of his works and may be able to give you an estimate.

The highest price today paid at auction is $6600. It was a figurative interior scene titled “Introduction at a Formal Party”.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley