Fine Art/Rico Tomaso, Floral Study

I have 3 paintings left to me from my grandma. Floral study by Rico Tomaso, Forest Mist by Slater and Forest Primeval by Gare. Can you tell me anything about these paintings?  thanks

Dear Tiffany,

I hope all is well with you. I am not familiar with the artists “Gare” and there are numerous artists with the last name of Slater. Can you give me first names or initials? If you wish, you can send me photos of the paintings with a close up of the signatures I will try to identify them for you. You can email the photos to:

Rico TOMASO (1898-1985), was born in Chicago, but lived most of his life in N.Y. He is known for paintings and illustration. His work hit a peak at auction in the late nineties. Of note, there must be 50 posts on an art website by people who own Tomaso paintings and want to know their value. My suggestion is you find a local resource for appraisal, or contact on the art auction houses to get their opinion. Illustration House ( has sold several of his works and may be able to give you an estimate.

The highest price today paid at auction is $6600. It was a figurative interior scene titled “Introduction at a Formal Party”.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.