Fine Art/Rome Visit

I am due to visit Rome this Summer, Obviously the Sistine Ceiling is on the top of my list. I see from your profile that you have visited Rome. Can you recommend any other sites of importance, especially any works by Caravaggio

Hello John, You are indeed a lucky man. Rome is a remarkable city

Caravaggio Materpieces can be found at the following locations
The Martyrdom of St. Matthew
The calling of Saint Matthew
The inspiration of St. Matthew
Contarelli Chapel, San Luigi dei Francesi, Rome

Madonna with the serpent
Galleria Borghese, Rome

The rest during the fight from Egypt
Galleria Doria Pamphilj, Rome

The Conversion of Saint Paul on the way to Damascus
The Crucifixion of Saint Peter
Cerasi Chapel, Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome

YOU MUST VISIT The church of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Rome contains (in my opinion) the gretest ceiling ever painted, It even puts the Sistine ceiling in the shade, It was painted by Andrea Pozzo and the cupola is one of the cleverest uses of perspective I have ever seen.

The Vatican museum tour not only gives a tour of the Sistine but you also get to visit the Raphael room with the remarkable School Of Athens.

I dont know if your interest covers sculpture but Rome is the home of all the greatest works of Bernini and of course the breathtaking Pieta of Michealangelo.

Enjoy Your Visit, Let me know your thoughts.

Gari Phillips

I have studied many aspects of art history but my main focus has been on Italian Renaissance and Baroque periods. My strengths lie in the work of Caravaggio, Bernini, Raphael and Michealangelo.

I have spent years gathering and studying a large collection of books and documents relating to Italian art. I have also spent a large amount of time travelling to Florence, Rome and Venice to view specific paintings and sculptures.

I have no formal qualifications in art, It is quite simply a consuming passion and I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable. I am educated to A level standard