Fine Art/Romney Painting

I am looking for a painting.  It was painted by George Romney and is called the Stanley Children.  They are the children of the 12th Earl of Derby.  Edward, Lord Stanley and Lady Charlotte were painted in 1780.
Is it recorded somewhere where the painting is today and how might I find out who has it or see a current photograph of the painting?  I have read a detailed description in a Catalogue Raisonne on Romney.

My inquiry is personal.  I believe I either have a study done for it or I have half of the painting.  If the painting is intact than I have a study but if it is not then I may have one of the children from the painting.  Any help you can give in my search would be greatly appreciated.  

Dear P Howard, Even though I have a very extensive art research library your question exceeds my ability. I have two suggestions which I believe will satisfy you. One, If you have a major art museum library in your region you can look up the painting in the "Royal Academy Exhibition Records". Nearly everything of importance by Romney was exhibited here. Second, if you send me your email address I will forward an email from the (British) National Portrait Gallery Library that will instruct you how to contact them for information. There are quite thorough and helpful. Send your email to me at and make the subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.