Fine Art/Rubens

Question
Dear Mr. Klevit

I have been collecting art for a couple of years now and I just found a piece that i really love and it would be a great addition to my collection. It is a drawing said to made by Peter Paul Rubens. The problem is that I am not an expert into Rubens and it is sold from ebay. However the seller seems pretty serious but I would like if you could give me your opinion on the work -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sir-Peter-Paul-RUBENS-1577-1640-authentic-drawing_W0QQitemZ1

I hope you are able to help me...

Best Regards, Soren

Answer
Although old masters are not my area of expertise, I visited the website and was struck by a few things:   'after Dom...'  Does that mean it's by someone else, based on Rubens?  Second, who in the world signed anything in pencil in the 17th, 18th or 19th centuries?  And when they say something similar went for 30 times more, why don't they sell it through a reputable international auction house?  Would you sell a Mercedes for the price of a VW?  I admit, having seen so many 'skeptical' things on eBay, I am always extra cautious.  I follow the notion that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  I would call Sotheby's or Christies, who deal in such things. Alan Klevit.

Alan Klevit