Fine Art/S. Komori, Japanese artist, early 20th century

Question
Dear Mr. Klevit:

I inherited several paintings (oil I think, on a thin canvas) by one S. Komori. I know that these were purchased by a late brother in law who was with the U.S. Occupation Forces  in Japan, 1945-46.

I know nothing of the artist. One work is a still life, vase, fruit etc. Another is of a mountain scene.  Is there any information on this artist? My late relative was unschooled in art, he could have just bought these at a street fair.

Answer
Two possibilities come to mind, Robert:  Yes, these paintings could have been by a "street fair" artist.  But that doesn't mean they're not great.  Second, they could have been by an important artist, nationally or regionally, who, sixty years later, simply does not appear on the international radar screen, which is all I have accessible to me.  Enjoy them, and unschooled as you suggest, your brother-in-law clearly enjoyed art and may have had a great eye, which cannot be taught.  To make the point, think of a favorite singer of yours of the 1950s or so.  Maybe out of favor today.  Not terrific?  enjoy.  Alan.

Alan Klevit