Fine Art/SAMUEL HALPERT

Question
HELLO MR. TWYMAN,
I HAVE A FLORAL OIL PAINTING SIGNED BY S. HALPERT. IT MEASURES 16 X 20. THE CANVAS AND STRETCHER APPEAR TO BE TURN OF THE CENTURY OR EARLIER. I AM THINKING IT IS AN EARLIER PAINTING BY S. HALPERT. THERE ARE SOME CONDITION ISSUES BUT I CANNOT SEEM TO ATTACH PICS TO THIS SITE.  DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN SEND THE PICS TO. THE ONLY BACKGROUND I HAVE IS THE PAINTING CAME FROM THE PRINCETON, NJ AREA. FROM LIMITED INTERNET INFO THE SIGNATURE APPEARS VALID. MY QUESTION IS DO YOU FEEL IT IS AUTHENTIC AND IF SO SHOULD I HAVE RESTORED 1ST BEFORE OFFERING IT FOR SALE OR AS IS.  OBVIOUSLY YOU NEED TO SEE PHOTOS 1ST.  THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE YOU MAY AFFORD ME.

REGARDS, GARY

Answer
You are in a small niche market with this artists works.

Many will tell you that changing the condition of an older work can make it less desirable for the collector, while others feel it should be restored.

You should contact a gallery that has history with this artist.  Here is a suggestion:

http://www.hollistaggart.com/

copy and paste the link in your address bar.

Dan Twyman