Fine Art/Salvador Dali Divine Comedy

Question
QUESTION: I don't know which Salvador's Art is popular for fraud.  Some experts feel I have a tampered with genuine piece and some experts feel it's a fraud due to the possible tampering in one place the entire piece is bad.
Someone put the initials EA in black pencil on my Dali Divine Comedy Paradise Cantos 23 and someone else said the signature didn't look like what was expected. The piece is authenticated for $350.00 with NO DATE by Patrician Publications.  I had heard the piece survived a fire, the owner collected on the insurance and he gave away the painting after that, that person gave it to me, and no longer cares to discuss it. Personally I think Dali may have made EA signature as a favor to someone.  I know there's an Albert Field Book and a way to look over the print however I do not have the funds to purchase an appraisal or a $300.00 book.  I was hoping someone could give me some measurements or something to go by to continue looking into the possibility of this piece. Someone has made an offer and I don't want to rip them off.
I'm very suspicious after everything I read.  This has been quite a nightmare.  I really wish there was no such thing as valuable art after going through all this understanding of how desperate people have to be to learn their lessons, I don't see where life on earth has any gain for anybody when we have to spend time discerning is lying and who is telling the truth, or chasing money about to alleviate stress.

ANSWER: I can appreciate your frustration.

The Divine Comedy series was done a number of ways.

#1. Hand signed by Dali in the 1960's in colored pencil.
#2. Plate signed or engraved signature.
#3. Some have two signatures, plate and pencil
#4. Unsigned
#5. Modern day Giclees or Knock offs.
#6. FAKES

The only way to know what you have is to have an expert examine it in person, or they can do it via phone and email images, however based on your comment about funds etc. you will run into a problem because the minimum fee for the right paperwork is $150.00

I am a broker, and do not authenticate art.  I have good referrals if you are willing to pay their fees.

Another possibility is to find a retail gallery in your area that has a large number of Divine Comedy and see if they will look at it for you, but that's a long shot.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan

QUESTION: What is a Giclee or a Knock off?  I would love to have some references from you. I'm sending pics of the Dali around to whomever can look at it for now.  I plan to pay for appraisal soon, but I need someone who is qualified to safely remove it from the frame, test the paper, etc. One free question online Dali expert already told me they think it may be a real Dali but tampered with so it needs more serious testing. If there is a science lab that can age this thing to determine a year. I would be fascinated to learn about this possibility.

Answer
You don't need to get the paper tested.

A Giclee or knock off refers to modern day copies done with high tech scanners. All digital. Knock offs.

As for testing paper, an expert needs to look at any marks on the paper, watermarks, ID marks by paper manufacturer etc. Do not take it out of the frame yourself, you might damage it. You can send it to a referral I have, he charges a fee.  If you want his info, email me at:
collectdali@aol.com so I can keep his number off of this site.

Dan

Dan Twyman