Fine Art/Salvador Dali Question

I have what I believe to be a Salvador Dali signed print.  It was purchased at a charity auction in 1997.  They said it was titled "The Swallow".  I have been to the museum in St. Pete and tried to find it online, with no success.  Is there anywhere I can look for information on this item?  I am considering selling it, yet I want to be certain I do not misrepresent the item.  Thanking you in advance, Craig

Dear Craig,

Your print; The Swallow, is also known as L’hirondelle. It is also listed as “La civilta sconfitta-The defeat of civilization. It was released as part of a portfolio collectively known as Le jungle humaine and included 6 lithographs enlarged from original ink drawings (Atelier Lithographique) with added color.

It was published by Martin Lawrence (from Carpentier) in a Tirage of 630 prints on “pre-signed paper”. Part of this tirage is: numbered edition #1-250 on Arches; 1-CCL on Arches; AP 1-50 on Arches; EA 1-50 on Arches and 30 HC (Hors Commerce). The portfolio was originally included a title page, colophon, and 6 descriptive pages.

I found two auction listings in this century. One sold for $227 and the other did not sell. There is one listed in an ebay store for $2500. Google this: Salvador Dali, L’hirondelle. You will find it listed in several places. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.