Fine Art/How to Sell A Painting

Question
Hello Alan:

A dear friend of mine asked for help with selling a Paul Grimm Painting.  I was happy to help but really had no idea where to start. I got pics and measurements. The painting is in excellent condition from what I can tell - no stains or tears, vibrant color, and large 34" by 48" framed. I found a site called askart.com and was directed to dealers who are listed as interested in purchasing this artist. Is ent the info and there has been interest but I am not sure how to know if the offer(s) are good or not.  Is a formal appraisal the only way to know if folks are in the ballpark?  Is selling outright better than consigning or auctioning?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Many thanks
Kelly

Answer
Kelly--you don't necessarily need a formal appraisal.  A dealer's offer would be wholesale or lower.  If there is more than one, at least you have a ballpark range.  Knowing the wholesale, perhaps EBay is a possibility.  Consigning usually gets you less and I don't know where you would auction it.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit