Fine Art/Sir Thomas Lawrence print

I have a print of a lady that is signed by three people.  One signature is "Sir Thomas Lawrence T.R.A", another looks like "Marion Conley" and the third looks like "Henderson".  These were writen in pencil at the bottom of the print.  Conley and Henderson are guesses.  The signatures were hard to verify.  Across the top of the print, "Raphael Tuck & Sons ltd. London Publishers to the Majesties the King and Queen.  Printed in England" is printed.  I haven't found a picture of the print nor can I figure out the signatures other that Lawrence's.  I'd like to get an idea of who the other two signatures may be, and their connection with Raphael Tuck & Sons.  Thanks.

Raphael Tuck & Sons: The lithographic publisher, Raphael Tuck and Sons, dominated the die-cut market in Britain during the 1880's decade. Although, their art was printed in Germany, the images were directed for a thoroughly British audience. The subjects for die-cut lithography covered a wide range. Animals, soldiers, children, flowers, country scenes and tradesmen were frequently depicted. Because of their beauty and appeal, die-cuts were most often mounted in keepsake albums. As well, greeting cards of the nineteenth century were usually handmade, and die-cuts were the most favored decorations.

It looks like Marion Conley donated art to the Smithsonian.
Unless it's a different Marion Conley.

Sir Thomas Lawrence was one of the foremost English portrait painters of his day. He was born in Bristol. A child prodigy, he was largely self-taught, although he spent some time at the Royal Academy of Arts. In 1789 Lawrence won recognition for his portrait of an actress, Miss Farren (1789, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City). He became much in demand, and in 1792 he succeeded Sir Joshua Reynolds as principal painter to King George III, who knighted Lawrence in 1815. Lawrence was made a member of the Royal Academy in 1794 and served as president of the academy from 1820 to 1830.

Lawrence was a brilliant stylist and technician, whose vitality, rich color, and dramatic silhouettes anticipated romantic painting. Although uneven in quality, his work at its best is marked by a taste and elegance that lends distinction to the portraits of his sitters. These portraits include Lady Peel (1827, Frick Collection, New York City); Pope Pius VII and Archduke Charles of Austria (Waterloo Chamber, Windsor Castle); and The Calmady Children (1825, Metropolitan Museum). Lawrence was the first English painter to achieve success in Europe. With Reynolds and Thomas Gainsborough he stands at the apex of English portrait art.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.