Fine Art/Symbolist Painting

Goddess of Discord
Goddess of Discord  
Dear Mr. Boon,

I own a large Symbolist painting that was purchased in Belgium several decades ago and appears to be about 100 years old. It is unfinished but quite powerful, showing 2 warriors, a dead child, and Eris, the Greek Goddess of Discord holding the Apple of Discord.  I do not exactly know if it is Belgian, but I know that many Symbolist painters were.  There is a signature, which is smudged and seems to be in pencil.  See attached photos. Anything you might be able to tell me about the work would be very welcome.  Thank you.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your question. The closest artist to your painting is Emile FABRY, but it is NOT. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that it is not a genuine work. You may always send me very detailed photos of signature and back + size to

Kind Regards,

Christophe BOON

Christophe Boon

I am an expert in BELGIAN Fine Arts, specialised in oil paintings and watercolours of BELGIAN painters from 1850 until 1930. I am also one of leading experts on the well-known Belgian artist Fernand TOUSSAINT(1873-1956).I expertise, buy and sell. Please always email detailed photos if you require a good advice on your private works of art.

Third generation of expert in Fine Belgian Arts. Second generation leading art gallery in Belgium.

Royal Belgian Chamber of Antique Dealers. CINOA: Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Oeuvres d'Art. SNA: Syndicat National des Antiquaires Français.

Commercial director of BOON GALLERY in Brussels (2007). Specialist, Impressionist Art dept, Christie's Paris (2006). Master Degree in Fine & Decorative Arts, Sotheby's London (2005). Bachelor Degree in Fine & Decorative Arts, Sotheby's London (2004).