Fine Art/Titian engraving by the Curtis Publishing Company 1909

QUESTION: I have aquired a Titian engraving in half tones of The Assumption Of The Virgin. This print was produced by the Curtis Publishing Company copyright 1909. I have enquired with the Curtis Publishing Company about more information but they have no info other than it was not a magazine cover. Would you know what this print was commisioned for and how I may further my resarch.

ANSWER: Assumption of the Virgin (1516-1518) is a large oil painting by Titian. It is located in the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari in Venice, being the largest altarpiece in the city.

Are we talking about the same image?

Yes, we are talking about the same image. I have hit a roadblock in researching this engraving. It is in the three orders just like the oil painting. Aproximate size is 23" long by 13"Wide.

It's common for an artists work to be recreated as an engraving or lithograph, in most cases the artist creates the original and an engraver creates the limited edition.

Have you been able to find more details as to dates and names of everyone involved?

I did not see that info when I looked.

I sometimes have to reference books for info but don't have the ones with this info.  I have access to a retired book dealer that is a wealth of info and has sold me books in the past.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.