Fine Art/Toulouse Lautrec

Question
Hi, I m
have a May Milton (May Belfort?) print with a blue pencil signature in the bottom left hand corner, along with no; 3/25 below it.The signature and numbering are not printed but have been added afterwards. The ink of the picture is raised from the page as if as if it is a real screen print, on a heavy textured cartridge type paper. (sorry...I don't know ANYTHING about art!)
However, on the back is printed; IX May Milton 1895. Philadelphia Museum of Art. Rendered by Albert Carman.
Which makes me think it must just be a very well done commercial print. I am however intrigued by what looks like the very real original signature. I also have two other prints from the same series; Monsieur et Dame and Jane Avril, however these do not have the signature. I purchased these prints at 'trash and treasure' type market in Valparaiso Chile about 10 years ago.

Answer
Dear Melinda,

What you have is a lithographic reproduction that was originally released in a portfolio of 12 lithographs after Toulouse Lautrec by the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1946. The lithographs were reproduced by Albert Carman, New York Studio Books; Holme Press Inc. The other two you mention were also released within the portfolio.

The printing of these reproductions are considered very good quality and on quality paper. The edition is limited, but the signature is reproduced. Since not many people can afford an original printing of Lautrecís work, your copy is one of the better quality reproductions and if in good condition, well worth framing. I have found values in the $200-400 range for complete sets.

I hope you and your family have a beautiful season.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley