Fine Art/Trying to determine age of painting

Question
Hello Sir: I have acquired a portrait painting (18" x 23") identified as Frederick Ludwig, Furst von Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen, 1746-1818. The painting is oil and depicts a man in 18th century garb (looks like Geo Washington) wearing sash and badge of a Prussian order. On the back of canvas is the date 1784 and information in German about this man. The style of writing is not 1784 but maybe 1860s; the painting style appears much earlier. I am trying to determine when this painting was painted. There is no signature or date on the painting. There are numerous fine cracks in the paint throughout. The date 1784 on back is above the biographical information, and appears to have been added later. The last line is "painted as a Prussian colonel" which would be historically accurate to the 1784 date. Is there any way to determine the age of the painting from examination? The style is certainly commensurate to the period, and the subject, a Prussian general who fought Napoleon in 1806, not likely one who would have been widely painted after his death. Any advice? Thank you.

Answer
Yes, Mark, there are experts who can determine age.  I am not one of them.  I believe there are scientific tools that can determine age of canvas, the paint, etc.  Call a museum in your area; second choice, good appraiser or auctioneer.  Sorry I can't help more.  Alan.

Alan Klevit