Fine Art/Unknown Artist

I have an oil canvas painting by an artist that I cannot make out.  It has been in the family for over 30 years and I wanted to surprise my husband by finding out about this painting.  I have run into some problems determining the artist name or any information locally on this painting.  Any assistance would be grateful. I can supply photos if needed of the painting and a close up of the signature.  The back does not have anything of significance.  It basically is a painting of two birds in a river with mountains in the background.  It has a gray tone with browns & yellows for the marshy? grass near the river.  There are a couple of trees shedding their last leaves.

Dear Amanda, Unless the back is covered with paper it has great significance to me.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.