Fine Art/Unknown Artist, Painted 1883

I have this oil painting dated 1883. I have been doing a lot of research on who this artist might be. It belonged to my great, great, great grandparents. I even have documentation as to when they aquired it at a trading post in South Dakota. I just cant read the name. Also, the canvas key stretchers are from the first lot that Aaron Draper Shattuck made. They are personally engraved from him. Not stamped. He documented that those were given only to Master Artists that were friends of his. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time
Christin Munro

Christin, Very curious to see this.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.