Fine Art/Unknown Artist....

My wife inherited a small oil painting which her mother purchased in Scotland in the 1950's. It is a garden courtship scene which appears to be 18th century.  It is 9 1/2" high by 7" wide painted on wood.  The signature is on the lower right and appears to be "Ulysses".  We have been unable to determine the name of the painter.  If I had your e-mail address, I could attach a photo.

L.P. McCormick
Parkersburg, WV

Dear Lawrence, I find only two listings that could be possibilities. Jean Jude Ulysse (Fr. d.1884), exhibited in Paris from 1859 to 1881. Jean Ulysse-Roy (Fr. 19th century)exhibited at the Paris Salon in 1879 and 1881.
These are rather minor artists, and it would be difficult if not impossible to find images of their work.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.