Fine Art/Unknown artist

Dear Mr. Hynes,
I have a small (10 cm by 16 cm) oil painting on board (it appears to be a handcut panel of european walnut) with no signature (at least none I can find),  I bought it at an estate sale.  It belonged to an 85 year old lady who brought it with her from Holland to Canada. I don't think that the painting is necessarily Dutch though.  (I don't know when she came to Canada) The subject matter is quite amusing and I rather like it.
I would like you to see it - but the jpg is rather large.  I put it on a website for you to look at
Thanks for your time,

Dear Evelyn, The subject is superb. The woman's attire is very obviously Spanish, so I would assume that is the origin of the painting. When a genre painting is small I am always suspicious. Frequently a small print or postcard of a painting would be pasted to a panel and then overpainted to appear to be an original painting. Last year I purchased a small painting in Argentina, it depicted Spanish cavalry in the North African desert in 1909. I even had the painting cleaned by a conservator, he thought it was fine. Later an associate and I discovered it was a painted over postcard. I should have known better from the begining. It is very possible this is what you have.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.