Fine Art/Unknown painter

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I have recently inherited some paintings from my grandmother.  They were bought in the early 1960s.  One is a landscape by an artist called Wegener.  It looks like a Tyrol or Swiss mountain scene. The only clue I have to the painter is that I heard he was German and possibly late 19th century. It is a well executed painting, and not at all chocolate boxy. I have tried various search engines without success.  Do you know anything about him?
Answer -
Dear Jennie,
I have found listings for 13 German and Danish artists named Wegener. If you can find a first name or initial that would be a great help.
Cordially,
Dan

Dear Dan

Many thanks! It looks like AD Wegener - in the bottom LH corner of the frame.

Jennie
Answer -
Dear Jennie, I have looked through numerous dictonaries of artists' names, German, American, and International, and find no listing.
Only in "Davenport's Price Guide" do I find an A.D.Wegener. The only information given is 20th century American, Mountain scenes.
Cordially,
Dan

Dear Dan

Thank you very much for your efforts - I really appreciate them. Do you have any further suggestions/sources I could follow up on in finding out more about the artist? I am not interested in selling or valuing the painting - but I would really like to find out how an obscure American artist ended up in a gallery in Akld NZ!! Funnily enough, I had thought of the Rockies the first time I saw the painting - especially the Grand Tetons. Anyway, whatever happens - thank you for taking the time and trouble to research him.

Jennie Clark

Answer
Dear Jennie, There are many unknown or slightly known artists whoes biographies will never be completed. They died early in their careers, or they did not exhibit or sell their paintings. And some were just reclusive. After years as an art dealer selling paintings by known artists I end up with a house full of unidentified artist. One artist who is not listed in any art reference material I researched for 6 years. I still do not know his birth or death dates but I have chronicled 7 years of his life, and identified half a dozen previously unknown works in various museums. The two paintings I had by this artist I sold to the state of Texas and they hang in the governor's office in the state capitol.
If you believe your painting is not 20th century, but 19th century I suggest you call the library of a major art museum and ask them to look in "Thieme-Becker". It is a dictionary of German artists. I do not have this reference as it is about 35 volumes and very, very expensive.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes