Fine Art/Unknown painting.

I am trying to find information on a painting of my grandfathers.  It was from his great grandmother.  The picture is of a stone staircase winding it way up to a stone windmill and village.  The left side of the picture has a small lake or river with a man fishing on it and a few small boats.  It is on canvas and appears to be a watercolor.  We have not been able to find a signature on the painting but it may be hidden under the frame. The windmill style appears to be dutch.  I have pictures I could send if you wanted me to.  The painting would have to be at least 150 years old.

Chris Kampen

Dear Chris,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.