Fine Art/Unsigned oil painting, on canvas, with partial gallery label

I have a friend who purchased this painting, and is interested in identifying the artist, along with the circa. She has some knowledge concerning arts, however her knowledge is limited to very few individual artists. She is thinking this particular piece is possibly a "Burton", or a "Barton", circa 1870-1890. A gallery label is attached to the stretcher, but, as you can see, a large part is missing. The words: "& Co.", "Artists Materials", and "Drawing Supplies", are visible, along with what appears to say "Lexington St.". In addition, the letters, "MD." are below the assumed street address, which we believe refers to the state of Maryland. Any information you could supply us with, concerning this painting, would be greatly appreciated, and helpful. At this point, we would be delighted, with the identification of the gallery label, alone. We humbly ask for you help, and expertise, with our quest. Thank you, in advance, for your time, concern, and cooperation. I will attempt to attach pictures of, both, the painting, and the gallery label, but if it doesn't, I apologize.

Laura White

Dear Laura,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.