Fine Art/Value of painting

Hi, I have a watercolor painting done by an artist called H.Marriot-burton which I found when we took over a swapshop about 18 yrs ago. I have checked on the internet and the only artist i could find was a Harold Marriort-burton, but it does not seem that he ever painted in watercolor.Do you know of an artist H.Marriot-burton who painted in watercolor and if so was their work of any value. The painting is of a women having her hair washed by another women and they are both semi-nude...thanks

Dear Gavin, I find only one "H. Marriott Burton" listed and that is Harry M. Burton (Br. 20th C.). I am sure this is your artist. Many artists will paint in watercolor, but they may not neccessarily exhibit or sell them or they may not be particularly noted for them. I do not appraise paintings I cannot physically examine. Generally if an artist is not recognized for his watercolors they are usually valued at considerably less than his works in oil.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.