Fine Art/Venice Painting Oil on Canvas

Hello Dolly; I have another painting that once again was shot down in the discussion boards. I thought this was older than one of those starving artists Hotel paintings but now I am not too sure. The canvas is actually old looking older than appears in the photo, and it has older nails on it as well, not 19th Century but older. It is also varnished, but the signature does however look like one of those mass produced kind. Let me know what you think, thanks so much again, in advance, keep up the good work! Jim.

Dear Jim,

I hope this finds you well in health and spirit. After reviewing the photographs, I would say it is not a “starving artist” painting; mainly due to the framing and brushwork in which both are higher quality than most mass produced pieces. It also appears to be much older than the work presented currently in hotels. It is a nice painting; however it is not exceptionally high skilled work. Notice the inconsistency in perspective; the way the buildings shapes are irregular, (look at the buildings in the background and how they tend to lean), and the shadowing is inconsistent in areas. I cannot say for certain when it was done, but my guess, and this is really a guess, is early to mid twentieth century. It may be older, but you are probably a better judge of this than I am since you can inspect it personally. I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.