Fine Art/Buying art

Question
Dear Alan

I have found four pieces of art that i am thinking about buying
Dont know how specific the information has to be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"TOROS Y TOREROS - JACQUELINE ROCQUE - No. XII "
SUPERB COLOURED LITHOGRAPH & HELIOGRAVURE .1961
HAND SIGNED IN RED PENCIL BY PICASSO.
LITHOGRAPH SIZE : 10 x 14.5 ins. ( 26 x 37 cms.)
Overall size with frame : 19 x 23 ins
This Lithograph was published in 1961 by Editions Cercle D'Art , Paris as part of the portfolio
"ORIGINAL MARC CHAGALL - COLOR LITHOGRAPH SIGNED JUDAICA COA - SIGNED IN PENCIL 14 X 10 INCHES PERFECT CONDITION
ILLUSTRATION FOR DERRIER LE MIRROIR SPECIAL EDITION MAEGHT MOURLOT PARIS

CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY (COA) BY AMERICAN NATIONAL ART GUILD DATED 1988 IS ENCLOSED"
This one has a picture of the COA beside the litho - should it then be a "secure" buying ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maternity". This is a very nice Giclee Litho. It is signed in Ink or China Marker(facsimile). This will come with recent Provenance and a Gallery COA, issued by J.D.M.Artistic-Ltd. Colours are very vibrant. litho size is 20 x 26.
I have asked the seller and he says it is hand signed
--------------------------------------------------------------------

original Picasso Heliogravure, titled "Nude Couple", Mourlot Edition, hand signed Published by Teriade, Paris.

This one i have already bough I payed 350 dollars for it - was it a fair price ?

My questions are:

Could you tell me how much i should pay for these art pieces ?

If a COA is with the art piece can I then count on that it is genuine ?

Thank you so much you have been a great help for an unexperienced buyer

Best Regards, Soren Holmstrup  

Answer
Soren--I feel uncomfortable telling you what to pay, but have some things for you to consider.  If a piece may or may not be real, and the seller either doesn't know or doesn't care, is the COA any more genuine?  No!  Enjoy the Picasso you bought.  I doubt it is his signature for $350.  It is a "heliograph" NOT an original litograph or etching or linocut, his usual printmaking techniques.  Picasso had NOTHING to do with its creation--only originally [hopefully] created the image, which was then reproduced by others.  Giclee is a fancy word for a computer generated reproduction from a picture that has been downloaded, and the computer "directs" the application of ink on the paper.  Not an original anything, despite the popularity of the technique, because it looks so good.  The Chagall:  I was not aware that he signed any of the pieces he created for Derriere La Mirroir, and have no idea who the American National Art Guild is.  TOROS Y TOREROS--composition utilized as the frotispiece for the deluxe copies of a book, same title.  According to my Mourlot catalog of ALL Picasso lithographs, he created 125 signed & numbered pieces and 25 artist proofs.  The "heliograph" part of the description suggests the creation of more pieces, and I find it hard to believe he would sign them.  He just did not work that way.  He was careful and ethical to his collectors and his market.  It's that darned portfolio that bothers me.  Picasso did not create the piece for a portfolio.  That entire portfolio--heliogravures--was not produced in conjunction with the artists, and I, personally, wouldn't touch them.  As a beginner, go to galleries, people you can meet, talk to, look at the pieces they have to offer.  Remember my BMW/VW story!  If I offered you a 2 carat perfect diamond with a COA for $500 [retail value $12000], would you buy it?  Careful!  Alan.

Alan Klevit