Fine Art/W.H. Trood

Hi. I recently bought a picture,painting,most likely a print because it was framed at a yard sale for $5 It has the initials W.H. Trood and the date 1892. It's wonderful!! It has two dogs playing tug of war while other dogs and one cat are watching. Well my 7 year old stepped on it and broke the glass that also scratched some of the picture a little. I have done some research on this artist but can not find any information on this particular it a fake or real? I would like to know the name of this piece,how to care for it, and should I reframe it? I suppose if it has any worth would be helpful too.
Thank you.

Dear Tisha,

I hope you are doing well. I believe the print you are talking about is titled "Tug O'War" but the dates do not match. The one I am thinking of is an engraving and has two puppies on top of a table tugging on something. The other dogs are on the chairs and floor. The cat is on the floor. Is this your image? You can email images to me at A close up of the margins would be needed to determine if there are plate marks.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.