Fine Art/WALL PAINTINGS

Question
Hello!!
I have an oil painting. It is a picture of an old mexican church I believe. It has a glass cover & has little xmas lights that light up various parts of the picture. The signature is "ASHBROOK ". Is there anything you can tell me about this picture?
 Thank-You
  Nicole

Answer
Dear Nicole, It is likely this is the Cincinatti artist Paul Ashbrook (1867-1949). He studied with William Merritt Chase and Frank Duveneck. Ashbrook began his career doing llustrations for Charles Klackner in New York City. From 1900 to 1918 he headed the design department at Henderson Litho Co. in Cincinatti, and taught at the Cincinatti Art Academy. From 1920 to 1929 he worked for the Strobridge Litho Co., designing many of the Barnum & Bailey Circus posters. From 1926-on Ashbrook made many painting trips to Europe and Mexico. He died of pneumonia in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico in 1949.
I don't know anything about the Christmas lights.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes