Hello, Dolly, I have a water collar signed by WILH.VALTER ,all in capital letters.  It's a lovely scene of houses on a river bank with two canoes.surrunded by lovely trees.  The houses and trees are reflected in the water.  My search came up with a Christies auction in 1991, but the scene was not the one which I have.  Again, I don't know what it might be worth if mine were  an original.  I must point out the the signature is almost  1/2 " high. Furthermore, I am not sure if Valter is is pretty fancy .  

Dear Dee,

I found an artist Willem Valter, (1821-1847), Dutch. There are four auction listings for his watercolors/drawings and all are in the last three years. The prices for the two most recent are in the range of $400-900. One of his oils sold for close to $4000. You will not be able to find a great deal of his work because it appears he died young at the age of 26.

Based on the auction results of similar work, your painting would be estimated within the range above by the auction house, but of course it could go a lot higher or lower depending on the mood of the collectors. It is very difficult to estimate value with so little work on the secondary market. I hope this is helpful. Keep looking for his work. More may show up.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.