Fine Art/WILH.VALTER , WATERCOLOR PAINTING

Question
Hello, Dolly, I have a water collar signed by WILH.VALTER ,all in capital letters.  It's a lovely scene of houses on a river bank with two canoes.surrunded by lovely trees.  The houses and trees are reflected in the water.  My search came up with a Christies auction in 1991, but the scene was not the one which I have.  Again, I don't know what it might be worth if mine were  an original.  I must point out the the signature is almost  1/2 " high. Furthermore, I am not sure if Valter is Walter...it is pretty fancy .  

Answer
Dear Dee,

I found an artist Willem Valter, (1821-1847), Dutch. There are four auction listings for his watercolors/drawings and all are in the last three years. The prices for the two most recent are in the range of $400-900. One of his oils sold for close to $4000. You will not be able to find a great deal of his work because it appears he died young at the age of 26.

Based on the auction results of similar work, your painting would be estimated within the range above by the auction house, but of course it could go a lot higher or lower depending on the mood of the collectors. It is very difficult to estimate value with so little work on the secondary market. I hope this is helpful. Keep looking for his work. More may show up.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley