Fine Art/Winde Fine Prints

Question
Dear Ms. Headley:    I have a Winde Fine Print titled  Picnic  No. 201 by Sottung. It is a 16 X 20. It belonged to my grandmother and she had it on the wall of her guest bedroom when I was a child. It would be at least 40 years old.    I would like to know anything that you can tell me about Winde Fine Prints, the artist, and the history of this particular print. Also, I would like to know a price value of this painting. I looked on E bay and was greatly disappointed. All of the Winde Fine Prints that I could find were selling for around $8.00. I think that is not a realistic price.     Thanks. Jackie

Answer
Dear Jackie,

I hope this finds you well in health and spirit. Your print, “Picnic” is after American artist George Sottung. I have included his biography below.  I am unable to locate the company information on Winde Fine Prints; but they were a prolific printer of open edition offset lithographs during mid-twentieth century.  

I agree that your print is exceptionally beautiful and when compared to modern mass produced images; is of higher overall quality. Unfortunately, open edition prints from Winde, Donald Art, and other similar printing houses do not fetch much on the secondary market. Since it was your Grandmother’s; I assume you are interested in keeping it and therefore it may increase in value as other images of your print begin to disappear in the years to come.

Thank you for your question.

Best regards,
Dolly

George Sottung
American 1927 - 1999
A graduate of the Art Institute of Chicago, George Sottung completed his postgraduate studies at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Sottung apprenticed under Haddon Sundblom, then served as chief staff artist at the Chicago Tribune and as illustrator with Charles E. Cooper Studios and Mendola, Ltd., New York. For many more years Sottung worked as a freelance artist. His legacy of works include paintings in the collections of the White House, the Pentagon, the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Coast Guard, Princeton University, Reader's Digest Association, Exxon, Xerox, Norden Corporation and Hearst, Inc. He was a member of the Salmagundi Club of New York, The American Watercolor Society, The Navy League and the Press Club, and during his long and productive career garnered more than 100 exhibition awards.  

Dolly D Headley