Fine Art/Works of William Robert Addison

In the 70's we lived in Rockford IL and visited
the Merrill Chase Gallery at Schaumburg often.
We purchased a signed and numbered set of Addison's serigraph The Seasons, four scenes
which he painted in Escanaba MI.  We also bought
Betsy in the Attic and another small painting of a barn.  We are in our mid 80's and are having to
downsize and would like to know the value of
this art work.  We know that he died about 20 years ago.  We tried to contact M.G. Gallery but were told it was out of business.  Would like to hear from you with any information or help you
could give us.  

Dear Louise,

I hope this finds you well and thank you for your question. The Seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. Suite sold at auction in 2005 for $650, well over its pre-auction estimate of $200-400. This price represents wholesale value and you can expect a much higher price if sold in a retail gallery. I would estimate retail value at $2000-3000.

I found a “Betsy in the Attic “that had been listed originally on EBay for $1500.00, but was eventually reduced to $900.00, but I cannot find out the final sale price.

Most of Robert Addison serigraphs average $300-600 at auction.

You did not mention the size or medium of your original painting. I found an oil on canvas listed for sell on the secondary market online for $27,000, but based on auction estimates for his paintings, I believe that may be a bit high priced. A gouache (watercolor) on paper sold in 2004 for $1100 at auction.

Collectors must not be interested in selling his original paintings as there are very few available. If you want to pay for official appraisals of your work, Chicago Art Appraisers, (, gives current insurance value updates on art purchased at the now closed Merrill Chase Gallery. They list the price at $85 per item. They also offer to handle the sale of Merrill Chase art for $195.00 per item.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.