Fine Art/Wyland and James Coleman originals

Question
Good morning Mr. Klevit,
I recently purchased a Wyland brush art, he painted what I asked him, in front of me and I have pictures of him painting it. It is professionally matted and framed. Is this something that will increase in value, or do I just have a nice story to tell?

I also purchased a James Coleman original oil and gold leaf abstract. This is the first time he has departed from his usual, conservative, serene structure. It was the first showing as well. Again, is this a piece that will increase in value or no.

Thank-you in advance for your opinion and advice,

Joe Johnston  

Answer
Dear Joe--both are certainly popular artists whose works command more now than years ago.  My question about "artists of the day" is whether or not there will be a market years from now.  And who would you sell to?  For investment, I prefer artists with international markets and whose works could be sold at auction.  I am not confident either one will reach that plateau, but you never know.  Clearly you like what you bought, the only reason to buy art, and, if they did increase in value and you could sell at a profit, really, especially with your Wyland piece, would you?  Enjoy.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit