Fine Art/antique oil painting

Found an oil on board, framed by Sawyer Bros,   Woolahra,266 Oxford Street, in 1925. Ordinary plain frame. An European setting of town by a river. A central church steeple with buildings,people standing around on a bridge and promenade. The art is impressionism with traces of realism. Surname NORMAN in bottom right corner, but I cannot make any sense of the initials. Canvas board measures approximately 12.5 inches by 18.5 inches. Any information if possible.  

Dear Bill,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.