Fine Art/The appreciation of art

Question
We have an oil painting of my husband's father, and several graphite renderings and watercolors of family members that were all damaged in an unfortunate incident involving a toilet.  The insurance company is trying to depreciate the value of the art.  I cannot find any information on the artists and all family who could help are deceased.  Does art of this type typically depreciate?  I can understand it not necessarily appreciating, but does it depreciate?  Can you help?

Answer
Dear Janet, Portraits are at the bottom of the art market, unless the subject is historically important or the artist is important the value is minimal. If your portraits are not by a major listed artist they were likely worth little to begin with. I cannot answer your insurance questions.
regards,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes