Fine Art/arland a ussher

Question
Are you familiar with the Irish painter Arland A Ussher?  I have two of his watercolors signed and dated 1930.  I am considering consigning them but what to know what the market is for his work.  The last auction I found for him was in 2006 in Ireland.  My pieces are each  9 1/2" by 12"

Thank you very much.

Jeanne

Answer
Jeanne--last auction sale was indeed in May at the auction in Dublin.  Although I am not familiar with the artist, his works would be in the same ballpark 6 months later.  Since watercolors generally sell for much less than oils, you should price them accordingly, say 40% of the $2700 the painting sold for in Ireland.  Auction prices tend to be wholesale, so you could price them at $1080 wholesale, telling the gallery that the retail is about $1800.  Galleries want 50 off, but you might get them to go for 40% if they really like them.  The problem they have is that the 40 off pieces are competing with their 50 pieces, and eat into their margins.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com, and THE ART BEAT at Amazon.com.

Alan Klevit