Fine Art/art restoration

Question
i have been restoring paintings for several years. i have used ralph meyer's art restoration techniques, i have never been able to find ethyl acetate. where could i find this? or what it is?
thanks ronald

Answer
Hello Ronald,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. Ethyl acetate is a solvent that has many uses including manufacturing of glues, nail polish removers, perfumes, and even wine. As you are aware, its use in art restoration is primarily in the removal of buildup of varnish, oil residues and imbedded grime.

I found some resources for purchase online and have posted the links below. You may be able to purchase it at a local paint store as it is often used in automotive painting/restoration. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

http://www.sargentwelch.com/product.asp?pn=WLC95060-04_EA&sid=google&cm_mmc=goog

http://www.labdepotinc.com/Chemical_Details~pid~BS600.aspx

Dolly D Headley