Fine Art/art restoration

i have been restoring paintings for several years. i have used ralph meyer's art restoration techniques, i have never been able to find ethyl acetate. where could i find this? or what it is?
thanks ronald

Hello Ronald,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for your question. Ethyl acetate is a solvent that has many uses including manufacturing of glues, nail polish removers, perfumes, and even wine. As you are aware, its use in art restoration is primarily in the removal of buildup of varnish, oil residues and imbedded grime.

I found some resources for purchase online and have posted the links below. You may be able to purchase it at a local paint store as it is often used in automotive painting/restoration. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.