Fine Art/arthur hickman oil painting

Question
My great grandfather left me an oil painting of a rider on horseback on a beach when he passed away by an artist Arthur Hickman.  The painting is an oil painting and is signed and dated 1957.  I am curious as to whether this is a well known artist or just a local artist.  I would also be interested in finding out it's value if any.

Thank you

Answer
Natalie--I have never heard of Arthur Hickman, nor could I find any references to him or his art on line or in any of my art books.  So he is not "well known."  He could, however, be more than "local."  He could be a well established regional artist, well respected and valued in his time.  Unfortunately, the works of most regional artists don't usually hold their value once the artist has been gone a while.  I know none of this helps you, but I wanted to give you some general background on the world of art.  The main thing is, do you enjoy it, and, if so, it's a great way to remember your great grandfather with  a smile.  Alan.

Alan Klevit