Fine Art/ashbrook

i have a painting that was bought in the early 1950s of a spanish ship it looks like and it is signed by ashbrook no first name or initials. can you help me on finding more about this painting? It is on board and is oil with old style frame.

Mike, I have answered this question for at least a dozen people. What you have is a factory painting produced probably in Mexico, maybe Eastern Europe. The name is pulled out a book, it has nothing to do with the American artist Paul Ashbrook. There are tens of thousands of factories throughout the world producing commercial junk. There are over 700 art factories in Hong Kong alone.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.