Fine Art/augustus spencer

My mother recently died and over her fireplace had hung this painting since the 1950s when she had inherited it. It is called Sussex Cottages and is about 39 x 28 canvas painting. Is it valuable and is it collectible?  

Hello Elizabeth,

My condolences to you and your family.  Augustus Spencer was a British artist that lived from 1860 - 1924.  I assume the painting you are asking about is an original work?

A few of his paintings have sold at auction over the years but the prices have been low, $500.00 to $1,000.00 tops.  Is it valuable?  No.  Is it collectible?  Not really.

Please feel free to contact me again if you require any further information.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.