Fine Art/bury hunt 'proof'

Question
--Thanks.Not trying to be a bother but what is the difference between a print-proof-engraving?

Thanks, keith-----------------------
Followup To
Question -
My wife just found a nimber of prints and paintings when her mother passed. One is titled 'bury hunt' by c. agar, j. maiden. It is nicely frames and appears to be a print. There is the word 'proof' written on one edge of the print and the date 1851. Should we try to have this appraised or is it just a common print ? Also, many very nice equine paintings and prints, framed, all from 'Mohr Galleries", Toledo, ohio. The pictures were gifts to her father from George Crosby (Toledo Industry Giant, 20th century). Some were hand painted by him. Any info is really appreacuyated.

Thanks, Keith Wallace
Answer -
Keith--there is no way I can tell if the pieces have any value, are prints, or whatever.  I certainly would take them to an appraiser qualified to determine at least if the proof you mention is a print or an engraving, whatever.

Answer
A "print" is a catch-all phrase.  It may be nothing more than a reproduction, photographically or photomechanically produced in virtually unlimited numbers, from an original work of art by the artist.  In the art world, it means something else--an original graphic, made from plates/stones drawn on by the artist and produced in limited numbers.  A proof might be one of those.  An engraving is an original graphic, created by the artist carving with a sharp instrument directly into a plate, usually copper or zinc, which is then inked and paper pressed onto it, producing images [cousin to an etching, which also involves acid baths, too lengthy a process to discuss here]. Hope I helped rather than confused you.
Alan.

Alan Klevit