Fine Art/calder

Dear Mr. Klevit, I have a calder that is propibly just a mass print but I would like to ask you a couple questions about it anyway I should say I have so small bit o hope i could ba an original work. First, the parer it is printed on is not completly smooth. If you look closly it looks a bit like linen, The reason I mention this is because if it did have original paint brush strokes on it the paint may, at the edges,seem to be affected by the very slight ridges in the texture of the paper. And indeed this does seem to be the case to my completely untrained eye. So I would like to know if it was normal to see a Calder print on a somewhat textured paper? And secondly, there is a mark in the lower left hand corner which I will try to discribe. It seems to be a P over an F, the vertical line of the P being very long and that same line is used as the vertical line for the F. Furthermore the top horizontal line is extra long to the left of the vertical line,as in a T. So it actually makes a cross. In other words if it was not for the second, shorter vertical line of the F it would just look like a capital P over a capital T (with the vertical line being shared. I hope that makes sense! Do you know what this mark would be?  Thank You so much in advance for any information you may have, and for your time as well. Sincerly, Tim Cudahy

Tim--it is very unlikely that you have an original.  Calder did, in fact, paint on paper, in a medium known as gouache [sort of an opaque watercolor].  However, he signed them in every case, as far as I know.  Also, he never painted on linen-like paper, and the marks in the lower left are out of character as well.  But enjoy it anyway.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University