Fine Art/chagall lithographs

Question
Alan,

I'm back. This is very important. I have come to be advised that the lithographs I purchased "The Intinerant Player" and "the Lover's Heaven", both from Park West at Sea, 12 1/2 by 9 1/2 are pulled from a book of 5,000 editions. Books with all twelve lithographs can be bought for the same price (2,700.00) I purchased the lithographs for. In actuality, they are worth a few hundred dollars. Is this your experience? I am quite upset by this and was defintely mislead.Park West's appraisal is for replacement value only, for insurance purposes.  Please advise.

Valerie

Answer
Valerie--I have not seen pieces from the books you mention in my travels.  They are original lithographs.  Value?  A few hundred for an original Chagall lithograph, even an edition of 5,000 seems low.  Who knows how many intact books there are, which basically lowers the number of pieces for sale?  Could a gallery sell pieces for under a thousand and another for twice as much?  Probably. I sympathize with how must feel.  However, you seem to be asking me over and over again for what basically boils down to recourse and legal advice.  You should be asking advice from someone with expertise in that area.  Good luck.  Alan.

FOLLOWUP:  I read your comments, Valerie.  I can't alleviate your confusion, perhaps fear, but let me give you a scenario:  a wholesaler buys a 12 piece pckge for $2700, breaks it into "pieces" at about $300 each.  He wholesales them to galleries for about $400-500 each, except they are not all equally desirable.  The 'uglies' might be $300, the loveliest pieces he sells for, say $800-1000--and worth it.  The gallery sells the gems for $1600-2000. Put a $300 frame on it and you could be at $2,300.  Just a scenario with a different perspective.  If I recall from your first question, you really like them and must have thought you would get sufficient pleasure from them.  Some people think Beluga 000 caviar is worth $33 an ounce, others settle for off the shelf for $7, and each thinks they are getting value.  At the end of the day, only you know.  Not that other expert.  Not me.  I hope this helps.  By the way, I have 3 unsigned Picasso etchings from plates he created but the prints were not pulled until after his death.  They are much smaller editions, but I saw one of them [my favorite] at a gallery for $11,000.  Six years ago it was $3,500.  I buy what I love, never consider art for investment, although a number of the pieces in my collection have increased substantially, and I just settle for the pleasure they provide.  Alan.

Alan Klevit