Fine Art/chagall prices

Question
Sir,

I am most thankful for your reply on the two Chagall prints I purchased, though I am still confused. Going onto Sotheby's site for instance, one sees some prints going for 30,000 to 4,000. There is no discernible difference in apples to apples, other than subject matter. Even those with extraordinary color do not necessarily command higher prices. It is all very confusing. You may have two lithos, both signed in pencil and numbered in editions of 50, for example, one going for thousands and thousands and the other going for just a few. Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Valerie Villars

Answer
Certainly, Valerie--the ultimate dollar value of a piece is what someone is willing to pay.  Some images are more desirable than others; or the technique or strokes more clever; or the piece more aesthetically pleasing.  There is no hard and fixed rule.  If everybody wants the same piece, they drive up the price.  An Andy Warhol "Marilyn" fetches much more than others he did.  Amazingly, Chicken Soup Cans bring more than Scotch Broth--identical works with different flavors!  Go figure.  Investing in art is not for amateurs.  Buy what you LOVE and what is worth [to YOU] what you pay.  Alan.

Alan Klevit