Fine Art/collecting

Question
i wanted to start collecting
painting for my children to have
in the future.
i  dont know how much i need to
start and leth ographs recently
were suggested to me
our family come from italy
england, ireland and native american
mohawk and cherrokee  have any suggestions
thank u

Answer
Dear Claudia,
Until you become an expert do not buy prints, posters, or lithographs as most turn out to be worthless. Do not buy paintings or any type of art with the belief that they will be worth more in the future. What is popular today may not be popular tomorrow.
Do visit museums, art & antique shows, and art auctions. Take your time to learn and admire what really appeals to you. The more you narrow your interests the better collector you will be. If you find you like 19th century American landscape painters, study them. After some research you may find you like New York artists best, and then maybe just Albany artists. Read and study everything you can find about the history of Albany and its painters. When you know more than most people about your special interest then you can buy wisely and have something good for your children.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes