Fine Art/cruise ship auctions

Question
My family recently bought several seriolithigraphs and prints at an auction on a cruise ship.  They all came with Letters of Authenticity and Appraisals.  I'm sure you know the dealer who sells these. My friend purchased a Chagall for $9000.00.  Are they really worth what the dealer says, or were we taken?  I'm seeing some of the prints on ebay at MUCH lower prices.  Thanks.

Answer
Sandy--first, I have never heard of a seriolithograph--don't know what it is.  Chagall created original lithographs.  At $9K, the piece should be numbered and hand signed in pencil.  And the Letter of Authenticity should reference the catalog number of the piece.  Second, Although I did a stint on cruise ships, that was years ago, and I have no idea who the dealer is.  Finally, I see plenty of stuff on EBay, and I have little to no idea what those people are selling.  I wouldn't buy there.
I hope I've covered everything.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit