Fine Art/e. oberhauser tannhauser

Question
I found this print in my grandmothers attic in wash. DC  and wanted some
info on it.  It also states it is copyright 1906 Louis Wolff & co.  I believe it is
also handcolored it is signed but I can't tell if it was part of the print or
signed later.

Thanks,
Kelsey

Answer
Dear Kelsey,

From what you describe, you have an early century print after Oberhauser depicting the scene of the 13th century German knight "Tannhauser" who found the Venusburg-the home of Venus.

I would not be able to tell you if the print is actually hand painted and/or hand signed without seeing it in person, but you can take it to a local antique dealer or possibly museum to have an expert give an opinion. If hand colored and hand signed, the value according to auction estimates is in the $300-600 range. Generally, a hand signed print will be in the lower margin rather than within the image. Signatures within the image on prints are usually "plate signed".

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley